Sunday 18 May 2008

Banana Bread

As we had some bananas which were getting too ripe to eat, I did what I usually do and made banana bread. There are loads of other different recipes, which include milk, strong flour etc... but this is a nice quick, simple version that I got from my old school cookery book and have been using ever since.

75g margarine
75g sugar
100g self raising flour
1 egg
1 ripe banana

1) Grease a 2 lb loaf tin and preheat the oven to ~180 C
2) Cream the sugar and margarine
3) Mix in flour
4) Mash a banana with a fork and stir into the mixture.
5) Turn out into the tin and bake for about half an hour
I made 2 quantities to use up the bananas, but I have put the doubled mixture into one tin before and made a bigger loaf. Just leave it in for an extra 5-10 minutes.
Also, I used 2 x 3lb loaf tins this time so it would be easier to halve the mixture (I don't have 2 smaller tins), but I reccomend using th size given in the recipe.
It is tempting to eat it as soon as it comes out of the oven, and while it's really tasty it doesn't cut well; in fact it falls apart. To get decent slices, just let it cool down.
This freezes quite well too, though not for more than 3 months.

1 comment:

Ruth Strong said...

I've still to make banana bread... I meant to make some for a recent food event but ran out of time, now I've no motivation except for the fact I bought loads of bananas yesterday so Rob either has to eat them in time or I make some banana bread (or something else for that matter) with whats left lol..... I'm sneaky!